Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics
SMFM jointly launched the Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics (CAMT) with guiding principles to better understand the safety and efficacy of prescription drugs, therapeutics, and vaccines used during pregnancy and breastfeeding. CAMT advocated for the creation of a federal task force to identify and address gaps in knowledge regarding safe and effective therapies for pregnant and lactating women.
Success! Included within the 21st Century Cures Act (P.L. 114-255) was a provision to establish the Task Force on Research Specific to Pregnant Women and Lactating Women at NICHD. After a series of in-person meetings, the Task Force issued its first report (September 2018) to the HHS Secretary and the Congress.
Recent Coalition Activities & News
- August 22 - 23, 2019: The Task Force Specific to Pregnant
Women and Lactating Women met to discuss the implementation of its
September 2018 report to US Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. CAMT provided public comments during
- February 26, 2019: The PRGLAC Task Force is extended! In February 2019, HHS announced that it was reviewing the Task Force recommendations in order to better facilitate research in pregnancy and would extend the work of the Task Force.
- October 24, 2018: The Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics wrote to Secretary Azar urging him to implement the recommendations of the PRGLAC as soon as possible.
Questions about advocacy efforts to support enhanced research with pregnant and lactating women? Contact SMFM's Chief Advocacy Officer, Katie Schubert at email@example.com.
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
- American Academy of Pediatrics *
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology's Vaccines and Medications in Pregnancy Surveillance System
- American College of Nurse-Midwives
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists *
- Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs
- Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
- Endocrine Society
- Epilepsy Foundation
- Genetic Alliance
- March of Dimes *
- National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health
- National Coalition for Maternal Mental Health
- North American Society for Psychosocial Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Organization of
Teratology Information Specialists
- Society for Obstetric Anasthesia and Perinatology
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine*
- Society for Women’s Health Research
- Treatment Action Group
- United States Breastfeeding Committee
* Denotes Steering Committee Member