Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics
SMFM jointly launched the Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics (CAMT) with guiding principles to better understand the safety and efficacy of prescription drugs, therapeutics, and vaccines used during pregnancy and breastfeeding. CAMT successfully advocated for the creation of a new federal task force (the Task Force on Research Specific to Pregnant Women and Lactating Women or PRGLAC) to identify and address gaps in knowledge regarding safe and effective therapies and vaccines for pregnant and lactating women.
Questions about advocacy efforts to support enhanced research with pregnant and lactating women? Contact SMFM's Director of Government Relations, Rebecca Abbott.
RECENT COALITION NEWS & ACTIVITIES
- May 6, 2020: CAMT issues a new one-pager on the development of vaccines and treatments related to COVID-19
- March 18, 2020: CAMT writes to the NIH and FDA to call for inclusion of pregnant and lactating women in clinical trials related to COVID-19
- August 22-23, 2019: The Task Force Specific to Pregnant Women and Lactating Women (PRGLAC) met to discuss the implementation of its September 2018 report to U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. CAMT provided public comments during the meeting.
- February 26, 2019: The PRGLAC Task Force is extended! In February 2019, HHS announced that it was reviewing the Task Force recommendations in order to better facilitate research in pregnancy and would extend the work of the Task Force.
- October 24, 2018: The Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics wrote to Secretary Azar urging him to implement the recommendations of the PRGLAC as soon as possible.
- June 20, 2017: SMFM and members of the Steering Committee of the Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics wrote to Secretary Price to ask that he move quickly and approve a slate of members for the Task Force on Research Specific to Pregnant Women and Lactating Women.
- MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
- American Academy of Pediatrics *
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology's Vaccines and Medications in Pregnancy Surveillance System
- American College of Nurse-Midwives
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists *
- American Heart Association
- Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs
- Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
- Endocrine Society
- Epilepsy Foundation
- Genetic Alliance
- March of Dimes *
- Maternal Mental Health Leadership Alliance
- National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health
- North American Society for Psychosocial Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Organization of
Teratology Information Specialists
- Society for Birth
Defects Research and Prevention
- Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine*
- Society for Women’s Health Research
- Treatment Action Group
- United States Breastfeeding Committee
- WomenHeart: National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease
* Denotes Steering Committee Member