Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics
- SMFM jointly launched the Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics (CAMT) with guiding principles to better understand the safety and efficacy of prescription drugs, therapeutics, and vaccines used during
pregnancy and breastfeeding. CAMT successfully advocated for the creation of a new federal task force (the Task Force on Research Specific to Pregnant Women and Lactating Women or PRGLAC) to identify and address gaps in knowledge regarding safe and effective therapies and vaccines for pregnant and lactating women.
- Questions about advocacy efforts to support enhanced research with pregnant and lactating women? Contact SMFM's Director of Government Relations, Rebecca Abbott.
- December 27, 2021: Members of CAMT joined a letter to Congressional sponsors of the Cures 2.0 Act urging them include provisions to advance maternal therapeutics in the legislative package.
- June 1, 2021: CAMT sent a letter to Secretary Becerra outlining opportunities for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to promote the inclusion of pregnant and lactating people in clinical trials.
- March 24, 2021: CAMT sent a letter to President Biden and Vice President Harris highlighting policy changes necessary to promote the inclusion of pregnant and lactating people in clinical trials.
- March 1, 2021: CAMT sent a letter to the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices regarding access to the Janssen Biotech Inc. COVID-19 vaccine for pregnant and lactating people.
- February 25, 2021: CAMT sent a letter to the FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee on access to the Janssen Biotech Inc. COVID-19 vaccine for pregnant and lactating people.
- September 8, 2020: CAMT sent a letter with 22 signers urging FDA’s Office of Women’s Health to include promoting the inclusion of pregnant women and lactating women in clinical trials as a primary strategic priority.
- June 24, 2020: PRGLAC met to discuss implementation of its September 2018 report to the U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. CAMT provided public comments during the meeting.
- May 6, 2020: CAMT issues a new one-pager on the development of vaccines and treatments related to COVID-19
- March 18, 2020: CAMT writes to the NIH and FDA to call for inclusion of pregnant and lactating women in clinical trials related to COVID-19
- August 22-23, 2019: The Task Force Specific to Pregnant Women and Lactating Women (PRGLAC) met to discuss the implementation of its September 2018 report to U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. CAMT provided public comments during the meeting.
- February 26, 2019: The PRGLAC Task Force is extended! In February 2019, HHS announced that it was reviewing the Task Force recommendations in order to better facilitate research in pregnancy and would extend the work of the Task Force.
- October 24, 2018: The Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics wrote to Secretary Azar urging him to implement the recommendations of the PRGLAC as soon as possible.
- June 20, 2017: SMFM and members of the Steering Committee of the Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics wrote to Secretary Price to ask that he move quickly and approve a slate of members for the Task Force on Research Specific to Pregnant Women and Lactating Women.
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
- American Academy of Pediatrics *
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology's Vaccines and Medications in Pregnancy Surveillance System
- American College of Nurse-Midwives
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists *
- American Heart Association
- Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs
- Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses
- Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
- Endocrine Society
- Epilepsy Foundation
- Genetic Alliance
- March of Dimes *
- Maternal Mental Health Leadership Alliance
- National Association of Nurse Practitioners in Women’s Health
- North American Society for Psychosocial Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Organization of
Teratology Information Specialists
- Society for Birth
Defects Research and Prevention
- Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine*
- Society of OB/GYN
- Society for Women’s Health Research*
- Treatment Action Group
- United States Breastfeeding Committee
- WomenHeart: National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease
RECENT COALITION NEWS & ACTIVITIES:
- MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS
* Denotes Steering Committee Member