Advocacy Activities & Updates
We support policies to optimize health outcomes for high-risk pregnant people, and we prioritize those proposals aimed at eliminating health inequities. Letters, testimony, and other documents related to SMFM’s advocacy efforts can be found below. Items are categorized by their correlation with SMFM's Advocacy Agenda priorities. Questions? Contact Rebecca Abbott.
OUR ADVOCACY PRIORITIES:
- Prioritize and strengthen research investments in pregnant and lactating people.
- Expand and better support public health and health service programs that facilitate improved
perinatal health outcomes.
- Ensure that high-risk pregnant people have access to MFMs and MFM services, and that
MFMs are included in innovative care delivery models.
- Defend and expand access to reproductive health care.
- February 10, 2023: SMFM joined partnering organizations in an amicus brief to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Amarillo Division, in the case of Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine v. U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which is challenging the FDA's approval of mifepristone. The brief supports the defendant's position and details that mifepristone is not only safe and effective, but also a critical component to obstetric and gynecological care.
- January 26, 2023: SMFM joined partnering organizations in an amicus brief detailing the negative impact of Utah's criminal abortion ban on maternal health.
- January 23, 2023: SMFM joined partnering organizations in an amicus brief detailing the negative impact of Wisconsin's near-total abortion ban on maternal health.