Advocacy Activities & Updates
We prioritize health equity and support policy proposals that are aimed at eliminating health care disparities for high-risk pregnant women. View our complete advocacy agenda (2019 - 2020) in greater detail here. 2020 letters, testimony, and other correspondence with policymakers that support our commitment to health equity can be found below.
View the 2017, 2018, and 2019 Advocacy Archives
Members of SMFM can learn more about how SMFM decides to take a position on health policy issues by watching this quick video.
- Prioritize and Strengthen the Investment in Research in Pregnant Women
- Feb 21, 2020: SMFM writes to the NIH in response to their request for information on the Proposed Research Initiative to Decrease Maternal Mortality
- March 18, 2020: Together with the Coalition to Advance Maternal Therapeutics, SMFM writes to the NIH and FDA to call for inclusion of pregnant and lactating women in clinical trials related to COVID.
- Ensure that High-Risk Pregnant Women Have Access to Care
- March 25, 2020: SMFM and ACOG write to the Department of Labor asking that when they issue guidance specific to addressing COVID-19, they include medical professionals who are engaged in essential direct patient care as “health care providers.”
- March 25, 2020: SMFM joins major medical and scientific organizations, universities, and others to write to President Trump, asking that he lift the restrictions on federally funded research using human fetal tissue.