Advocacy Activities & Updates
We support policies to optimize outcomes for high-risk pregnant people, and we prioritize those proposals aimed at eliminating health inequities. Letters, testimony, and other correspondence with policymakers that support our commitment to health equity and improving outcomes for individuals experiencing high-risk pregnancies can be found below. Items are categorized by their correlation with SMFM's Advocacy Agenda priorities. Questions? Contact Rebecca Abbott.
- February 4, 2022: SMFM joins more than 80 organizations in a letter urging Congressional leadership to advance the Newborn Screening Saves Lives Reauthorization Act.
- March 28, 2022: SMFM joined more than 20 partner organizations in signing on to amicus brief for the Supreme Court of the State of Montana opposing abortion restrictions.
- February 16, 2022: SMFM joined more than 100 reproductive health, rights, and justice organizations in a letter to President Biden requesting him to address the abortion crisis in our country during his upcoming State of the Union address to the nation.
Strengthening Investments in Programs Promoting Maternal Health
- April 27, 2022: SMFM joined more than 100 organizations on a letter to Congressional leaders asking for increased funding to modernize the nation’s public health data systems.
- April 26, 2022: SMFM joined more than 50 organizations in a letter urging leadership of Senate and House Appropriations Committees to provide $100 million for the CDC’s Surveillance for Emerging Threats to Mothers and Babies Network (SET-NET).
- April 21, 2022: SMFM joined nearly 90 organizations in a letter to the House Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs calling for increased funding for international family planning and reproductive health programs in FY 2023.
- April 12, 2022: SMFM joined nearly 60 organizations in a letter urging leaders of Congressional Appropriations Committees to allocate sufficient funding in FY2023 for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
- April 6, 2022: SMFM joined more than 105 organizations in a letter to leaders of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees to ask for robust funding for the Title V Maternal and Child Health Services Block Grant in FY 2023.
- April 6, 2022: SMFM joined nearly 100 partner organizations in sending a letter to leaders of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees to request an increase in funding for the Health Resources and Services Administration in FY 2023
- April 1, 2022: SMFM joined more than 175 organizations in a letter to leaders of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees asking for an increase in funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in FY 2023.
- February 10, 2022: SMFM joined 20 organizations in a letter calling on Congressional leadership to quickly pass FY 2022 appropriations bills that would increase funding for the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.