We are pleased to share the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine’s 2018 Annual Report. Intended to be a snapshot of the year, the Annual Report showcases areas of tremendous growth for the Society. Highlights include:
- We developed 16 new clinical guidance publications on topics including induction of labor, gestational diabetes, postpartum pain management, and placenta accreta.
- We launched an interactive online map that details the progress each state is making to reduce maternal mortality and racial disparities in maternal health. The map includes custom state fact sheets for use in advocacy efforts.
- We expanded the scientific offerings at the Annual Pregnancy Meeting by adding 25 more posters and two additional late-breaking oral presentations, allowing for more presentation opportunities for MFM researchers and more choice for learners.
- We started a new SMFM Podcast Series to complement our existing online educational offerings, which featured 160 hours of content in 2018.
- We increased our offerings related to the business side of maternal-fetal medicine by aligning forces with the Association of Maternal-Fetal Medicine Management. For the first time ever, we hosted the Practice Management Conference and also issued a comprehensive book, A Contemporary Guide to Practice Management.
- We grew our international presence with a new newsletter and representation from 60 countries among our membership.
- We ensured a strong, sustainable Society with net financial gain of $599,307* ($238,248 from operations + $361,059 from investments) which was reinvested in our reserves and funded our increased staff support to advance new programs.
Members are at the center of all of our accomplishments and we are grateful for our long-time members and new members alike. Thank you for helping to make 2018 another great year.
Brian Iriye, MD
Sean Blackwell, MD
Granato, LLM, MBA
Chief Executive Officer