SMFM Patient Safety Checklists
The regular use of checklists—standardized, validated, evidence- or consensus-based processes—promotes consistency in obstetrical care and contributes to provide safe, efficient, high-quality patient care. The SMFM Patient Safety and Quality Committee encourages our members to incorporate the checklists below into their clinical practice to help improve the safety dynamics of their hospital.
- Updated Checklists for Management of Monochorionic Twin Pregnancy (November 2020)
- Checklist for Thromboembolism Prophylaxis After Cesarean Delivery (October 2020)
- Checklist for Postpartum Discharge of Women with Hypertensive Disorders (October 2020)
- Checklists for Preeclampsia Risk-Factor Screening to Guide Recommendations for Prophylactic Low-Dose Aspirin (September 2020)
- Operative Vaginal Delivery: Checklists for Performance and Documentation (May 2020)
- Unexpected Morbidly Adherent Placenta (September 2018)
- Preoperative Planning Form for Suspected Morbidly Adherent Placenta (September 2018)
- Amniocentesis or Chronic Villous Sampling (CVS) Checklist (September 2018)
- Diabetes Antepartum Checklist (March 2016)
- Preconception and Antepartum Checklist for Management of Pregnant Women with HIV (February 2016)
- Checklist for Monochorionic Monoamniotic (MC/MA) Twin Gestation Management (March 2015)
- Checklist for Monochorionic Diamniotic (MC/DA) Twin Gestation Management (March 2015)
The information in the SMFM Patient Safety Checklists should not be construed as dictation of an exclusive course of treatment or procedures to be ordered. Although the components of a particular checklist may be adapted to local resources, standardization of checklists within an institution is strongly encouraged.