SMFM Press Room
If you are a member of the media in need of information about high-risk pregnancies or the Society, please contact Kerri Wade via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. SMFM staff can direct you to physicians and scientists who are experts in a wide variety of pregnancy-related issues. The press office is open Monday-Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM ET.
SMFM in the News
View select press releases, public statements, and news coverage from 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. Download the image above by clicking here.
2021 Press Releases & Public Statements
- March 25: ACOG and SMFM Statement on the EPPPIC Study of 17-OHPC
- March 12: SMFM Applauds Medicaid Extension from 60 Days to One Year Postpartum
- March 1: SMFM Applauds Decision to Offer Janssen COVID Vaccine to Pregnant and Lactating People
- Feb 10: SMFM Applauds House Action on Medicaid Extension
- Jan 29: New Study Finds Women Who Develop High Blood Pressure After Giving Birth that Greater Risk of Developing Chronic Hypertension
- Jan 28: New Research Finds Pregnant Women Who Live in Areas with High Social Vulnerability at Greater Risk of Giving Birth Prematurely
- Jan 28: New Research Finds Severity of COVID-19 Determines Likelihood of Pregnancy Complications
- Jan 28: New Research Shows that Pregnant Women Diagnosed with COVID-19 Develop High Levels of Antibodies But Transfer of Antibodies to Newborns is Lower Than Expected
- Jan 27: ACOG and SMFM Issue Statement on WHO Recommendations Regarding COVID-19 Vaccines and Pregnant Individuals
- Jan 25: World’s Leading Clinicians and Researchers to Discuss Best Practices for Predicting, Preventing, and Managing Preeclampsia
- Jan 19: SMFM Appoints Christina Wurster as New CEO
- Jan 13: Physicians, Midwives, and Nurses Encourage Health Care Workers to Get COVID-19 Vaccine
SMFM in the News
- Vox (March 30): The Evidence that COVID-19 Vaccines are Safe and Effective in Pregnancy is Growing
- Women's Health (March 22): The COVID-19 Vaccine Has Been Falsely Linked To Infertility. Here’s What You Should Know.
- Good Housekeeping (March 22): Is the COVID-19 Vaccine Safe for Pregnant Women? Here's What Experts Know So Far
- CBS Austin (March 22): Medical Professionals Address COVID-19 Vaccine, Fertility Concerns
- Forbes (March 17): Vaccinated Mother Gives Birth To First Newborn With Covid-19 Antibodies
- Yahoo News (March 13 ): COVID-19 Vaccine's Effect on Pregnant Women and Nursing Mothers
- ABC News (March 12): Here's What Pregnant Women Should Know about the J&J COVID-19 Vaccine
- Chicago Tribune (March 11): Pregnant Women Deserve More COVID-19 Vaccine Data, Says Sen. Tammy Duckworth in Letter to CDC Director
- ABC Tampa (March 10): Medical Experts Say COVID-19 Vaccine is Safe for Pregnant Moms; May Provide Antibodies to Babies
- The Buffalo News (March 8): Pregnant? Considering a COVID-19 Vaccine? Here's What You Need to Know
- Mother Jones (March 4): Without Official Vaccine Guidance, Pregnant People Are Left to Do Their Own Research
- Philadelphia Tribune (March 2): Should You Get COVID-19 Vaccine if You’re Pregnant?
- Romper (Feb 26): Pregnant People are Still Being Denied the COVID-19 Vaccine. Why is This So Hard?
- NBC (Feb 25): Data on Pregnancy and the COVID Vaccine is Sparse. These Women are Changing That.
- Washington Post (Feb 22): False Claims Tying Coronavirus Vaccines to Infertility Drive Doubts Among Women of Childbearing Age
- Newsweek (Feb 19): Passing the Responsibility of Vaccination Risk to Pregnant Women
- Slate (Feb 10): A Pregnant Med Student Explains Her Decision to Get the COVID Vaccine
- Forbes (Feb 10): ‘Momnibus’ Bill Takes Aim At Reducing Black Maternal Deaths
- U.S. News and World Report (Feb 5): Lawmakers to Reintroduce Sweeping Maternal Health Bill
- Vox (Feb 3): COVID-19 Vaccines are Likely Safe during Pregnancy. When Will We Know For Sure?
Medscape (Feb 4): Neighborhood Police Complaints Tied to Black Preterm Birth Rates
- Chicago Tribune (Feb 4): Breastfeeding Mom Denied COVID Vaccine
- Scientific American (Feb 2): Why COVID Vaccines Are Likely Safe for Pregnant People
- Wall Street Journal (Feb 1): COVID-19 Vaccines Leave Pregnant Women in a Quandary
- Pittsburg Post Gazette (Feb 1): Pregnant Patients Navigate COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- The New Yorker (Feb 1): The Coronavirus Vaccine Presents a Dilemma for Pregnant Women
- CNN (Jan 31): Pregnant Women Should Get COVID-19 Vaccine, US Doctors Say, Despite Conflicting International Advice
- Women's Health Magazine (Jan 29): ‘I’m A Breastfeeding Mom And An Emergency Room Doctor: This Is Why I Got Vaccinated Against COVID-19’
- Ms. Magazine (Jan 29): The Weekly Pulse: Tracking New COVID Strains; Biden Rescinds Global Gag Rule; Vaccine Updates
- MedPage Today (Jan 29): Preventive Approach to C-Section Bleeding Pans Out in Trial
- Philadelphia Inquirer (Jan 29): If You’re Pregnant, Here’s What You Need to Know about Getting Vaccinated Against COVID-19
- ABC Salt Lake City (Jan 29): University of Utah Health Presents New Research on Pregnancy and COVID-19
- CBS Houston (Jan 28): WHO Advises Pregnant Women to Avoid COVID Vaccine, But Others Say the Choice is Theirs to Make
- Jefferson City News Tribune (Jan 26): What Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women Should Know about the Vaccine
- Yahoo Finance (Jan 28): New Research Finds Pregnant Women Who Live in Areas with High Social Vulnerability at Greater Risk of Giving Birth Prematurely
- CBS Milwaukee (Jan 27): Doctors Discuss COVID-19 Vaccine for Pregnant Women
- NBC Fayetteville (Jan 27): Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women Contemplate Getting COVID-19 Vaccine
- NPR (Jan 25): Protect Pregnant Women 'Through Research,' Not 'From Research,' OB-GYNs Urge
- CBS 10 Waco (Jan 24): Local Health Experts Urge Pregnant Women to Take COVID-19 Vaccines
- Medscape (Jan 22): Upcoming SMFM Meeting Will Highlight Disparities, COVID-19
- Time (Jan 21): With Little Data to Guide Them, Pregnant Health Care Workers Are Stepping Up to Get Vaccinated Against COVID-19
- ABC Austin (Jan 18): 'It's About Me, But It's Also About Them' | Expecting Mom of Twins Explains Why She Decided to Get the COVID-19 Vaccine
- NY Post (Jan 13): These Pregnant Healthcare Pros Got the COVID-19 Vaccine
- In Style (Jan 13): The COVID Vaccine Rollout is Leaving Pregnant People Hanging
- MedPage (Jan 13): Pregnant Doctors are Getting their COVID Shots
- ABC Detroit (Jan 13): Is COVID-19 Immunity Shared through Breastmilk? Metro Detroit Doctors Take Part in Study
- ABC Raleigh Durham (Jan 12): Duke Doctor Leads National Push to Study COVID-19 Vaccine in Pregnant Women
- CBS New Orleans (Jan 11): Pregnant Doctor Explains Why She Got the COVID Vaccine
- MedPage (Jan 11): Pregnant Doctors are Getting their COVID Shots
- NJ.com (Jan 8): COVID Vaccine: Does the Vaccine Cause Infertility? Is it Safe to Take While Pregnant?
- CBS San Antonio (Jan 6): Should Pregnant Women Get COVID-19 Vaccine?
- The Lily (Jan 5): As a Pregnant OB/GYN, I’m Acutely Aware of COVID-19’s Risks. That’s Why I’m Taking the Vaccine
- Contemporary ObGyn (Jan 4) : Navigating the Annual Pregnancy Meeting
Houston Chronical (Jan 3): Pregnant, Immunocompromised or Have Allergies? Here’s What You Need to Know about COVID-19 Vaccines