SMFM Press Room
If you are a member of the media in need of information about high-risk pregnancies or the Society, please contact Kerri Wade via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at + 1 (202) 517-6121. SMFM staff can direct you to physicians who are expert sources in a wide variety of pregnancy-related issues. The press office is open Monday-Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM ET.
2019 Press Releases & Public Statements
View select press releases and public statements from 2017 and 2018.
SMFM in the News
View select news coverage from 2017 and 2018.
2019 Press Releases & Public Statements
- May 6, 2019: SMFM Statement Opposing Final Conscience Rule
- April 8, 2019: Leading Experts in Obstetric Care Issue New Recommendations for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Maternal Sepsis
- March 8, 2019: SMFM Partners with ACOG and Others to Observe International Women's Day 2019
- February 26, 2019: Final Title X Regulation Disregards Expert Opinion and Evidence-Based Practices
- February 11, 2019: How to Classify High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy? New Research Shines a Light on Conflicting Criteria.
- February 11, 2019: Researchers Examine Postpartum Hospital Readmissions for Women with Psychiatric Conditions
- February 11, 2019: Leaders in Pregnancy Care Partner with Las Vegas High School
- February 11, 2019: Researchers Present New Findings on Postpartum Racial Disparities and Cardiovascular Disease
- February 11, 2019: Researchers Examine the Best Time to Screen Obese Pregnant Women for Gestational Diabetes
SMFM in the News
- Irish Times (May 1): Home Births and Health Complications
- Good Housekeeping (April 18): Gallstones Are the Pregnancy Complication No One Warned Me About
- News Medical (April 9): SMFM Releases New Recommendations Related to Diagnosis and Treatment of Sepsis
- Specialty Medical Dialogues (April 9): Maternal Sepsis during Pregnancy and Puerperium: SMFM Releases New Recommendations
- Medical Xpress (April 8): Experts Issue New Recommendations for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Maternal Sepsis
- Healio (April 5): AHA/ACC Hypertension Definition Identifies More Women At Risk for Preeclampsia than ACOG
- McGovern Medical School (April 1): Kenneth Moise, MD, Honored with Lifetime Award from National Society of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- WFMJ Youngstown (March 30): Sen. Brown Proposes Legislation to Lower Death Rates for Infants, Moms
- Contemporary OB/GYN (March 28): Is Universal HCV Screening in Pregnant Women Cost-Effective?
- Medscape (March 22): Reducing C-Section Rates Doesn't Harm Mother or Baby
- US News and World Report (March 22): Is There a Safer Choice Than Opioids After a C-Section?
- The Salt Lake Tribune (March 21): Commentary: Utah Legislators Ignored Expert Advice on Abortion Law
- Wall Street Journal (March 18): New Doubt on Treatment to Prevent Preterm Birth
- Self (March 18): Why You Don't Actually Need to Test for MTHFR Gene Variants
- Medscape (March 15): Perinatal Death Tripled in Home Compared With Hospital Births
- Health (March 15): Should All Pregnant Women Get Tested for Hepatitis C?
- SCS eNews (March 13): Aidan Kashyap Awarded the Best Oral Presentation
- MD Linx Pediatrics (March 12): Prenatal Betamethasone Cost-Effective in Women at Risk for Late Preterm Delivery
- Contemporary ObGyn (March 11): Unplanned Out-of-Hospital Birth and Risk of Perinatal Death
- Essential Baby (March 8): Is 50 the New 40 When it Comes to Having Babies?
- UT Health News (March 7): Researchers Present New Discoveries in Maternal-Fetal Medicine at National Conference
- Romper (March 7): 7 Signs Childbirth Will Be Hard For You
- Mountain Grove News Journal (March 5): Family Planning and IBD: Expert Answers to Common Questions
- MedPage Today (March 4): Confirmed, Again: Safety and Benefits of Influenza Vaccine in Pregnancy
- Science Daily (March 4): Home Births are Three Times More Dangerous than Hospital Deliveries
- Columbia University News (March 4): How Columbia Women Are Changing Medicine
- MD Linx (March 1): Home Births 3 Times More Dangerous than at Hospitals
- McGill Med E-News (March 1): Talking Women’s Health with Dr. Gabrielle Cassir
- Doximity (February 26): A Resident Finds a Community of Curious Scientists at SMFM
- Doximity (February 25): A Presentation at SMFM Reminded Me to Check My Implicit Biases
- MedPage Today (February 22): First Insulin Management App Cleared; Apple vs Pear Genes
- Doximity (February 20): SMFM Conference Is 'About the Science' and the Local Community
- Desert News (February 20): Utah House Committee OKs Bill to Ban Abortions after 18 Weeks
- UAB News (February 20): Early Screening for Gestational Diabetes in Pregnant, Obese Women May be Unhelpful
- MD Linx Endocrinology (February 20): Early Screening for Gestational Diabetes in Pregnant, Obese Women May be Unhelpful
- MedPage Today (February 19): Study: No Benefit With Early GDM Screening in Obese Women
- Odessa American (February 19): Local Physician Named President of the World’s Most Prestigious High-Risk Pregnancy Organization
- Medscape (February 19): Newborn Health Harmed by Cannabis Exposure
- MedPage Today (February 18): Dental Support Devices During Labor: All Bark, No Bite?
- MedPage Today (February 17): Texting Succeeds for Remote HTN Care in Black Women
- Tech Explorist (February 16): Evaluating if Maternal Administration of NAC Lowers Risk of Morbidity or Death in Infants of Women with Intraamniotic Infection
- MedPage Today (February 16): Pain After C-Section: Are Opioids Really Necessary?
- Yale News (February 15): Versatile Drug May Protect Baby from Hazards of Intraamniotic Infections
- MedPage Today (February 15): Postpartum Readmissons: Racial Disparities Abound
- MedPage Today (February 15): Higher Costs With Inducing Labor at 39 Weeks? It's Complicated
- USF Health (February 14): Dr. Judette Louis Named President-Elect for National Maternal-Fetal Medicine Group
- Specialty Medical Dialouges (February 13): Early Screening for Gestational Diabetes not Beneficial, Study Refutes ACOG Guidance
- News-Medical.Net (February 13): New Study Helps Doctors Better Understand High Blood Pressure in Pregnant Women
- News-Medical.Net (February 13): Studies Address Racial Disparities in Postpartum Period and Cardiovascular Health
- Medical Xpress (February 12): Researchers Present New Findings on Postpartum Racial Disparities and Cardiovascular Disease
- Medical Xpress (February 12): How to Classify High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy
- Medical XPress (February 12): Researchers Present New Findings on Postpartum Racial Disparities and Cardiovascular Disease
- Indianapolis Business Journal (February 8): 2019 Forty Under 40: Dr. Nicole Lee Plenty
- Charlotte Post (February 7): Metropolitan College Aims to Boost Birth Advocates
- D CEO Healthcare (February 4): How to Prepare for Texas' New Maternal Care Levels
- MD Linx (January 29): Cost-Effectiveness of Universal Hepatitis C Virus Screening of Pregnant Women in the United States
- Healthline (January 29): Aspirin May Reduce Stroke Risk for Women with Preeclampsia History
- Reuters (January 28): New Website Aims to Guide Women with IBD through Safe Pregnancies
- Fierce Healthcare (January 18): Industry Voices—4 Ways Healthcare Organizations Can Prepare for New Maternal Care Designations
- MedPage Today (January 17): Trends in Anti-Epileptic Drug Use During Pregnancy
- Medical X Press (January 16): AGA Releases Guide to Care for Women with IBD throughout Family Planning
- MD Edge (January 15): SMFM and ACOG Team Up for Interpregnancy Care Guidance
- The Washington Post (January 5): A Safe Prenatal Genetic Test is Gaining Popularity with Young Moms-To-Be and Their Doctors
Download a PDF of the image above by clicking here.