Commitment to Health Equity
SMFM’s mission, vision, and strategic direction recognize that success is dependent upon reflecting the diversity of the communities that MFMs serve. SMFM’s advocacy agenda prioritizes health equity and supports policy proposals that are aimed at eliminating health care inequities for high-risk pregnant women. Learn more about our work and get involved.
- SHARE. In May 2020, SMFM released a new infographic, "Strategies to Provide Equitable Care During COVID-19." Use the image on social media, in presentation slide decks, print it and hang it in your institution.
- SHARE. In April 2020, SMFM partnered with the National Birth Equity Collaborative to develop a new infographic, "Strategies to Overcome Racism's Impact on Pregnancy Outcomes." Use the image on social media, in presentation slide decks, print it and hang it in your institution. References for the infographic can be found here.
- SEE WHERE WE STAND. Read SMFM’s position statements: “Diversity and Inclusion in Leadership” and “Racial Disparities in Health Outcomes," as well as our special statement, "The Affordable Care Act's Foundation of Coverage: Essential Health Benefits are Essential."
- LEARN. We have a new committee dedicated to diversity and inclusion in the workforce. Familiarize yourself with the charge of the committee and its members. Consider applying for membership in 2021. Members only.
- MENTOR. Use our online Mentor Match to connect
with a mentor or mentee across the country. Members only.
- ADVOCATE. Use our interactive, online scorecard focused on disparities in maternal mortality to advocate for policy changes in your state.
- LISTEN. Dr. Jasmine Johnson, MFM fellow, discusses her research on racial disparities in pregnancy outcomes on our April 2020 podcast. Listen here:
- WATCH. Watch our recent Rally to Prevent Maternal Mortality.