Commitment to Health Equity
SMFM’s mission, vision, and strategic direction recognize that success is dependent upon reflecting the diversity of the communities that MFMs serve. SMFM’s advocacy agenda prioritizes health equity and supports policy proposals that are aimed at eliminating health care inequities for high-risk pregnant women. Learn more about our work and get involved.
LEAD. SMFM thoughtfully designed and is launching our first-ever Emerging Leaders Program (ELP). The goal is to develop a pipeline of diverse, inclusive, and representative leaders to ultimately participate in the formal leadership activities of SMFM (e.g, committee service). The ELP is targeted toward SMFM members who are 3-7 years post-MFM fellowship and is made possible, in part, by support from Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. For more information and to apply, please click here. Questions? Contact SMFM's Director of Diversity. Equity, and Inclusion, Allison Wainick.
LEARN. SMFM is committed to building a diverse and inclusive membership and leadership cadre. Learn more about our members and what inspires their work in our new Member Spotlight feature.
SEE WHERE WE STAND. Read SMFM’s position statements and issue briefs: Telehealth: Opportunities to Increase Access to Quality Health Care and Advance Equitable Maternal Health, Diversity and Inclusion in Leadership and Racial Disparities in Health Outcomes, as well as our special statement, The Affordable Care Act's Foundation of Coverage: Essential Health Benefits are Essential.
- RECOGNIZE. Each year, SMFM recognizes a member who has demonstrated extraordinary leadership via the Mentorship in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award.
- SHARE. SMFM partnered with the National Birth Equity Collaborative to develop an infographic, "Strategies to Overcome Racism's Impact on Pregnancy Outcomes." Use the image on social media, in presentation slide decks, print it and hang it in your institution. References for the infographic can be found here. (April 2020)
- LEARN. We have a committee dedicated to diversity and inclusion in the workforce. Familiarize yourself with the charge of the committee and its members. Members only.
- MENTOR. Use our online Mentor Match to connect
with a mentor or mentee across the country. Members only.
- ADVOCATE. Use our interactive, online scorecard focused on disparities in maternal mortality to advocate for policy changes in your state.
- SHARE. SMFM revised its infographic, "Strategies to Provide Equitable Care During COVID-19" to include justice. Use the image on social media, in presentation slide decks, print it and hang it in your institution. (November 2020).
READ. SMFM and other national OBGYN organizations issued a joint statement on racism in medicine (August 2020)
- LISTEN. Dr. Jasmine Johnson, MFM fellow, discusses her research on racial disparities in pregnancy outcomes on our April 2020 podcast. Listen here: